Monday 17 August 2009

Flower embroidery finished

Well, it's been so long since I last posted, I'd forgotten the password, but it is good to be posting again.


After an hour here or half an hour there, I've finally finished the flower embroidery. I was asked to make it into a wall-hanging, after it being in a drawer for about 40 years. The embroidery was made up of small flowers approx 2½ x 1½". I removed the outside row of flowers as some had been put on horizontal rather than vertical and there were a four or five that were really quite soiled. This left me with an embroidery of six rows by six columns. Button-hole stitch had been stitched between each column. There was also a few individual 'new' embroideries that hadn't been attached to begin with, these were lovely and clean and because they hadn't been handled, they were in pristine condition.




I made this the centre of the wallhanging and added on another three columns, two on the left and one on the right. There were enough of of the 'new' embroideries to make two new rows, one above and one below.

A border was needed to finish is off, and cream silk does the job nicely. I left the original button-hole stitching in place, and once the border was attached, I continued this theme vertically between the columns I'd put on, and horizontally between the 'old' and 'new' embroideries. I buttonholed around the edge between the embroidery and border, this seem to finish it off. It called for a darker colour for the binding than the cream, and the pale sage green silk echoes some of the colour of the flowers.






Detail of the wallhanging.
It will be back with it's owner on Saturday. I hope she likes it.
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment