Monday 14 September 2009

Log Cabin Tablecloth

I made up one block to show Jenny (MIL) what they would look like and she was really pleased with it.  This also meant I was able to check all my calculations for log sizes were correct, and thankfully they were.
Log Cabin is often foundation pieced, but I'm not a huge fan of that, so I cut all the pieces out first and then chain piece.

I set them out in the order, it's not that clear in the picture and then pieced all log 1 to the middle square 36 times.  Cut between the logs, press and then piece all log 2 pieces to these and just continue until all are done.

















So this is the first four logs pieced and it's starting to look good.  Every time I finished four pieces to complete a square, I pressed and then squared them up to get rid of uneven edges.  I always like to remove 'ears' and square up blocks, even though this adds extra time to the sewing, it really does make a differnce to the finished piece.  Many years ago I went to college and studied catering.  When rolling out pastry one day, the chef asked me what shape I wanted (in this case a rectangle) and then asked how did I expect to end up with a rectangle when my pastry started off as a ball?  Good point, same with patchwork, if you want to end up with as near a perfect square as possible, you need to make sure it stays as close to a square all the way through, otherwise it gets all skewed.



Apart from the lovely light-bulb spot in the middle of these photos, it shows how small amounts need to be trimmed.  Then you end up with lovely square sqaures.  So these blocks are 9" sqaures, a 3" square in the middle surrounded by 12 1" log strips.

No comments:

Post a Comment